How to decorate your home with Mini Pumpkins And Gourds. If you love to update your home decor during the autumn months then these cute little fruits from the squash family are really fun to use. This time of year you can find them in abundance and because they come in such a wide array of shapes, sizes and colours they are the perfect choice to add to your fall displays.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to products or services which I think you may find useful – any purchases made via these links provides a small commission to me at no extra cost to you. This helps me keep the blog up and running.
Today I am going to share some ideas on how to decorate with mini pumpkins and gourds.
Here in the Netherlands, you can find mini pumpkins and gourds for sale all over the place, in the garden centers, supermarkets, and even on the side of the road.
I always like to buy a selection of different sizes, shapes, and colours so that I can have a play about and see what I can come up with.
This idea is so quick and easy but I think it looks quite effective.
Supplies Need To Make Mini Pumpkin And Gourd Display
- Silver grey plant foliage (I used some foliage from my Dusty Miller Plant that I have in the garden)
- Oasis Blocks
- Cling Film
- Mini Pumpkins
- Large White Round Tray
- Clear Glass Candle Holders
When choosing your mini pumpkins make sure that you carefully examine them and avoid any that have scratches, black spots, or visible signs of mould.
This is important because pumpkins are very susceptible to bacteria, and when not kept correctly they can quickly start to rot and turn to mush.
Before using your pumpkins and gourds you can help them to last longer and stop them from rotting so quickly by cleaning them.
How To Clean Mini Pumpkins & Gourds
- Wash any dirt off (be careful not to scratch or damage the skin in any way)
- Add 1tbsp of household bleach and a small squirt of washing up liquid to a 5ltr bucket of water
- Soak the pumpkins for an hour
- Remove pumpkins from the bleach solution and dry thoroughly
I find that bleach works the best for this but if you don’t like using bleach for environmental reasons then you can also use a vinegar and water solution too.
If you do this then it will make a big difference and the pumpkins can last weeks longer before starting to go mouldy.
How To Make A Mini Pumpkin Display
- Use a sharp knife to cut the oasis block to size so that it fits into the flower pots then soak it in a bowl of water for about half an hour.
- Line the flower pots with clingfilm then add the pre-soaked pieces of Oasis.
- Cut the greenery into small lengths (mine were about 10cm long).
- Push the pieces of greenery into the greenery to create a circle (see pic).
- Add another piece of clingfilm on top of the oasis then place a mini pumpkin or gourd on top.
Now you can arrange your mini pumpkin topped flower pots.
I put mine on a large white wooden tray (an old charity shop find of mine) and added plain white candles in Clear Glass Candle Holders.
I think the glass elements of this display idea add a modern twist to the decor and they fit with most colour schemes.
I hope you liked this little fall home decor idea and that it has helped you get your creative juices flowing on how you can decorate your own home.
Let me know what you think and I’d love to hear what ideas you have on how to decorate with Mini Pumpkins & Gourds.
Here are a few more of my Autumn and Winter Decor Ideas