This Endive Salad Recipe is a great alternative to traditional salads and makes a great side dish for your summer get-togethers and BBQs.
I haven’t shared a recipe for a while so I thought I would add one of my favourites for the summer.
I actually shared this one a few months ago over on Kenarry Ideas For The Home (where I am part of the creative team) but thought I would add it here too as “Witlof Salade” is very popular here in the Netherlands so it fits in nicely with my other Dutch recipes.
Endive / witlof / chicory (or whatever you want to call it) has now become a staple for us since having moved to the Netherlands.
It has a very distinctive fresh but slightly bitter taste which I personally love.
And because of its fresh and crunchy taste, I also like to use this Endive & Apple Salad recipe as a side dish at BBQs
We often eat this dish together with oven-baked chicken breasts so I have added them to the recipe so you can see how I cook them. Although this is totally optional as you can just as easily make it with or without the chicken.
Endive Salad Recipe
Easy Endive Salad Recipe
Endive / Chicory & Apple Salad
- 4 heads of chicory / endive
- 1 apple I use Jonagold which are crisp with a sweet and sour taste
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp of natural yoghurt I use low fat
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- a handful of pine nuts
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chicken or vegetable stock cube
Cook The Chicken
- Pre-warm your oven to 200°C / 390°F
- Crumble the stock cube into a little bowl, add the olive oil then mix into a paste.
- Smear the oil and stock cube mixture on top of the chicken
- Put the chicken into the oven until they are completely cooked and beginning to brown on top (I normally check them after about 20 minutes).
- Once your chicken breasts are fully cooked, remove them from oven, thinly slice them then wrap them in foil until you are ready for them.
Prepare The Salad
- Hard boil your eggs then allow to cool.
- Chop the end off your endive, then remove the hard bitter core then chop the rest of the heads into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Peel and chop your apple into julienne sticks then add to your chicory
- In a separate bowl mix the mayonnaise, yoghurt, lemon juice and salt and pepper (taste to check that you have the right amount of seasoning).
- Add the mayo and yoghurt mix to the chicory and apple mix.
- Peel and chop your eggs into quarters
- Arrange your chicken, eggs and pine nuts on top of your chicory mix and chill until you are ready to eat.
- the calories shown for this salad recipe include the chicken.
If you like the sound of this endive salad recipe you can always save it on Pinterest for later (I would really appreciate the shares ? )
This is just one of the ways you can prepare endive / chicory, it is actually quite a versatile vegetable.
In the winter we eat it as a warm dish and bake it in the oven with ham, cheese and eggs (I will add that recipe too once the weather starts to cool down).
More Dutch Recipes …
And if you would like to carry on and try more Dutch recipes then be sure to check out the Traditional Dutch Apple Pie Recipe and my Mini Dutch Spiced Cookies (Pepernoten) Recipe which is a really great one to do with the kids.
If you have any alternative endive salad recipes, then I would love to hear about them (I’m always looking for new recipes to try) and if you do try this one let me know what you think.
Oh yes, and if you do try this one be sure to let me know what you think….
I have lots more delicious Dutch (and British) recipes that I love to cook and plan to share here in the not too distant future. Be sure not to miss them by signing up for my email newsletter, which will keep you up to date with the latest posts, freebies and news from the blog.
If you are not already a subscriber you can sign up for my newsletter here —> Yes, I would like to receive all the latest ideas, news and freebies from A Happy Home In Holland
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE …