Here is a really simple paper craft idea made with wrapping paper. These mini DIY PAPER ROSETTES are super easy but look really effective when grouped together in a display or used as gift-wrapping embellishments to decorate presents.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links that I think you may find useful – any purchases made via these links provide a small commission to me at no extra cost to you. This helps me keep the blog up and running.
I was really pleased when I found some lovely plain coloured gift wrapping paper in red, green silver and gold.
This particular paper was of quite good quality which made it very easy to work with.
At the time, I didn’t have a clear idea of what I was going to do with it but after wrapping a few parcels I thought the contrasting colours would look great as gift-wrapping embellishments.
So I had a play around and I came up with these super simple DIY paper mini rosettes.
In the past, I have seen other tutorials that use 2 or 3 separate pieces of paper to make DIY paper rosettes but I did it my own way and found it easier to use just one piece of wrapping paper.
I loved them so much that I decided to make some bigger versions to decorate our home.
Supplies Needed To Make DIY Paper Rosettes
- Good quality Gift Wrapping Paper or thin card stock
- Beading Wire or Metallic Florist Wire
- Double-Sided Sticky Tape (or glue stick)
How To Make DIY Paper Rosettes
Step 1 – Cut a rectangular piece of paper
- Cut a rectangle of paper at least twice as long as it is wide (to make a 13 – 14 cm diameter rosette cut a piece 35cm x 15cm)
Step 2 – Fold the paper to create an accordion effect
- Accordion fold the paper in 1 cm increments (fold it one way then turn it over and fold it the other way) creasing it well as you go.
- Use your nail (or the back of the scissors) to go over the folds again to create really sharp creases.
Step 3 – Secure paper rosette with wire
- Take a piece of florists wire and twist neatly 2 to 3 times around the folded paper strip and tuck ends in.
- Trim the ends to ensure that both sides are equal and straight.
- Now cut the 2 corners off on each end of the paper to create points.
Step 4 – Pull the paper rosette out and glue
- Pull the edges together to make a half fan and stick them together then repeat with the other side (the first ones I did I used double-sided sticky tape but when I ran out of tape I switched to just using a glue stick – that worked fine too).
- You will see a point jutting out where you have glued it together – trim this diagonally on the back side to neaten it up.
You can make larger or smaller ones by increasing or decreasing the size of your wrapping paper (don’t forget to decrease/increase the size of your folds).
Decor Ideas For DIY Paper Rosettes
There is so much you can do with these little simple DIY Mini Paper Rosettes.
I think they would also look fab done in different colours and patterns.
I would also like to try making them again in the future in XL sizes to create a wall display.
I think that wallpaper would work well for this as it would be stiff enough to hold the shape.
I hope you liked these Easy DIY Paper Rosettes and that it has given you a bit of inspiration on how you can use them to not only easily create embellishments for gifts but to create home decor accents too.
I’d love to know what you think about this easy craft idea and if you have had a go at making them.
Did they work out for you and how did you use them? Let us all know any tips you have in the comment section below.
If you would like to see more decor or easy-budget DIY craft posts then make sure you sign up for the Happy Home In Holland Newsletter, which will keep you up to date with all my latest posts, freebies, offers, and news from the blog.