Here is a really simple paper craft idea made with wrapping paper. These mini DIY PAPER ROSETTES are super easy but look really effective when grouped together in a display or used as gift-wrapping embellishments to decorate presents.
I was really pleased when I found some lovely plain coloured gift wrapping paper in red, green silver and gold. This particular paper was of quite good quality which made it very easy to work with.
At the time, I didn’t have a clear idea of what I was going to do with it but after wrapping a few parcels I thought the contrasting colours would look great as gift-wrapping embellishments.
So I had a play around and I came up with these super simple DIY paper mini rosettes.
In the past, I have seen other tutorials that use 2 or 3 separate pieces of paper to make DIY paper rosettes but I did it my own way and found it easier to use just one piece of wrapping paper.
I loved them so much that I decided to make some bigger versions to decorate our home.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links for products or services that I think you may like and find useful. Any purchases made via these links provide a small commission to me at no extra cost to you. This helps me keep the blog up and running
Supplies Needed To Make DIY Paper Rosettes
- Good quality Gift Wrapping Paper or thin card stock
- Beading Wire or Metallic Florist Wire
- Double-Sided Sticky Tape (or glue stick)
How To Make DIY Paper Rosettes
Step 1 – Cut a rectangular piece of paper
- Cut a rectangle of paper at least twice as long as it is wide (to make a 13 – 14 cm diameter rosette cut a piece 35cm x 15cm)
Step 2 – Fold the paper to create an accordion effect
- Accordion fold the paper in 1 cm increments (fold it one way then turn it over and fold it the other way) creasing it well as you go.
- Use your nail (or the back of the scissors) to go over the folds again to create really sharp creases.
Step 3 – Secure paper rosette with wire
- Take a piece of florists wire and twist neatly 2 to 3 times around the folded paper strip and tuck ends in.
- Trim the ends to ensure that both sides are equal and straight.
- Now cut the 2 corners off on each end of the paper to create points.
Step 4 – Pull the paper rosette out and glue
- Pull the edges together to make a half fan and stick them together then repeat with the other side (the first ones I did I used double-sided sticky tape but when I ran out of tape I switched to just using a glue stick – that worked fine too).
- You will see a point jutting out where you have glued it together – trim this diagonally on the back side to neaten it up.
You can make larger or smaller ones by increasing or decreasing the size of your wrapping paper (don’t forget to decrease/increase the size of your folds).
Decor Ideas For DIY Paper Rosettes
There is so much you can do with these little simple DIY Mini Paper Rosettes, I think they would also look fab done in different colours and patterns.
I would also like to try making them again in the future in XL sizes to create a wall display and think that wallpaper would work well for this as it would be stiff enough to hold the shape.
I hope you liked these Easy DIY Paper Rosettes and that it has given you a bit of inspiration on how you can use them to not only easily create embellishments for gifts but to create home decor accents too. If you liked this idea then be sure to also check out this Gift Wrap Idea using DIY Paper Flower and my other Easy DIY & Craft Ideas.
I’d love to know what you think about this easy craft idea and if you have had a go at making them. Did they work out for you and how did you use them? Let us all know any tips you have in the comment section below.
If you would like to see more decor or easy-budget DIY craft posts then make sure you sign up for the Happy Home In Holland Newsletter, which will keep you up to date with all my latest posts, freebies, offers, and news from the blog.
If you are not already a subscriber you can sign up for my newsletter here —> Yes, I would like to receive all the latest ideas, news, and freebies from A Happy Home In Holland
4 thoughts on “How To Make DIY Paper Rosettes – Quick & Easy Tutorial”
Awesome! So simple yet so very pretty so glad you shared this..really like the colors and even black and white would be nice.and its so nice that these could be used for other holiday decorating red white n blue for the fourth and primary colors for even a birthday party! Love your posts and story’s on life there..so fascinating please ..please.. share more with us! Setting up a blog finally of my own to get going after the holidays hope to get to know you more in the future!
Hi Mary, yes I love the simplicity too and as you said they are great for other holidays and celebrations too. Let me know when your site is up, I’d really like to take a look 🙂
LOVE THESE! I’m looking for an easy way to create paper type flowers for my nieces wedding. This will work perfect!!! 🙂 Tweeting and sending to facebook. Visiting from Sticky Blogging Formula group. 🙂
Hi Cindy, thanks for popping over. I’m really glad you like them, they really are so simple to make (my kind of project 🙂 ). If you do make them and post the pics be sure to tag me as I would love to see them – good luck with the wedding.